An admission on my part. I failed miserably at this challenge in 2017. Which is why I adapted the rules a bit for this year. The new rule will be in bold, just so you know what I added.
Here's what you do:
- Go to your bookshelves, or stack on the floor, or on your nightstand, etc. Pick out a book that you've been wanting to read on a particular shelf.
- Now continue down that line of books on the shelf (in order) until you have 12 books. (Here's an example image - most of my books are stacked instead of shelved traditionally because I have so many!) So, I choose Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch as my first choice and then I go up the stack until I have twelve total so I would end up at up at Alice Hoffman's The Marriage of Opposites).
- You might notice that there are a couple of extra books at the top...Swann by Carol Shields and that top one is The Accidental Man by Iris Murdoch. These are alternate titles. I found that part of the reason I failed at this challenge is that I didn't have any options for alternates, which I now feel is essential (there is probably no way I can read Atlas Shrugged in a month), especially if your sequence of books has more than one by the same author. I'm limiting the alternates to a three book maximum.
- You will then read your 12 books over the next twelve months, one book each month. You can read them in order (forward or reverse), or you can plug 1 - 12 (or 1 through your total number including alternates, if any) into a randomizer each month to pick your title for the month. The point is that you're not specifically choosing the book each month. It's chosen for you, either by ordered reading, or random choice.
- If you find that one of the books is part of a series and you've already read it, I will allow a substitution of another book from the series. However, if you find this happening (a whole series, several by the same author, etc) in the stack/shelf you chose, and you don't like it, I would suggest picking a different stack/shelf.
- What an awesome way to tackle books gathering dust on your bookshelves. Right?
- Challenge runs January through December of 2018.
- You can cross over books from your 12 books with other challenges.
- Just remember to stick to the guidelines above.
- Easy peasy!