The Fantasy Project: 101 Books in 10 Years
The 101 Books part of the title is an homage to the original challenge, The 101 Fantasy Reading Challenge, which was created originally by Bella, formerly of A Bibliophile's Bookshelf. I took the challenge over in early 2010. The original premise was based on the list itself. Here are the details of how it was created:
The list was compiled by Bella (formerly of A Bibliophile's Bookshelf and A Prairie Girl Reads), and Jo (Ink and Paper), when they held a mammoth poll in 2009 inviting readers to nominate their favorite fantasy books. The list is compiled of all the books nominated and voted for (813 total) in order by number of votes. The challenge started out with a year long format and then I changed it to a perpetual challenge. In both instances, books could be read from the top 101 or the entire list of 813.
Below are the guidelines for this challenge. I hope you will join me!
The guidelines for The Fantasy Project
- Read 101 fantasy books from the list of 101, or the entire list of 813, in 10 years. Links to the lists: 101 Fantasy Books List--Alphabetical Order 101 Fantasy Books List--Voting Order
- choose 101 fantasy books from the list (due to the large amount of urban/paranormal fantasy titles on the list, I have made this exception--26 titles can be titles that are not on the list, i.e. newer releases that came out after the list was compiled, more books of a high fantasy nature, etc.) To break it down...75 titles from the list and 26 that are not on the list = 101 books total.
- you can read other books in a series in which the first book, or other books in the series, appears on the list, to complete the challenge (for example, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, first book in the Graceling Realm series, made the list in 2009. Further books have been released in the series since the list was compiled and those books can be read for this challenge...these DO NOT have to be part of the 26 titles option--see above).
- post your list on your blog (or on Goodreads or another social media site, if you do not have a blog)
- choose your completion goal date ten years in the future and make note of it with your list of titles (like this: reading goal--101 books goal dates--August 20, 2013 - August 20, 2023)
- come back here and post the link to your list in the sign-up linky below
- write a review (or a short summary) on the book when finished and link it to the title in your list (or link to your review on Goodreads, again, if you don't have a blog)
- there are links to spreadsheets below where you can list/link up your reviews (they will be listed by author's last name, i.e. A - F, etc.)
- the members list is also below (your name, blog, goal date, and link to your list)
- when you have completed the challenge, come add your link to the Completed Challenges linky below
- If you happen to host a read-along, or an event or challenge surrounding one of the titles on your list, please leave a comment, or contact me (email icon in sidebar)
- I will try to have periodic group check-ins
- grab the button below
- you can also join us, and post/keep up with your list in our Goodreads group
A few more important details
- this challenge can be crossed over with any other challenges
- your link in the linky below must lead to your list, not just your main blog address. Any links that are blog links only will be deleted
- the list must be made in advance. The idea is to work toward reading fantasy you may have been otherwise neglecting and/or the fantasy titles/authors you love. However, the list does not have to be set in stone. You can change out titles as the mood suits you.
- periodically we will have what we'll call the Wheel of Fortune (borrowing from The Classics Club classics spin idea) where you make a list of 15 books from your list (i.e. 5 you're dreading, 5 you can't wait for, 5 favorites or rereads--yes, rereads are okay OR 5 urban fantasy, 5 high fantasy, 5 by the same author...the list is pretty much up to you). On a predetermined date, I will randomly draw (random.org) a number from 1 - 15 and the number that's chosen will be the book you read from your list of fifteen.
- our Twitter hashtag is #101FantasyProject
- Addendum: If you finish the 101 books before the ten years is up, come back and make another list and reset your ten year time limit!
- Celine, Nyx Book Reviews, August 2018
- Darlene, Darlene's Book Nook, August 2023
- Gina, Book Dragon's Lair, August 2023
- TFrances, Wading Through the Ocean of Life, August 2023
- Liz, Busy is Reading, August 2023
- Aleksandra, Aleksandra's Corner, August 2023
- Erika, Endomental, September 2023
- Diana, Little Miss Drama Queen, October 2023
- Melissa, Ladybug's Doodle, August 2023
- Michelle, True Book Addict, August 2023
More members can be found in our Goodreads group here.
LINKS TO REVIEW SPREADSHEETS
Reviews A - F
Reviews G - M
Reviews N - R
Reviews S - Z
GRAB THE BUTTON